Getting Digital on Digital Learning Day!
Signifying the growing importance and demand for digital learning strategies in the classroom, nearly 25,000 teachers, millions of students, U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, U.S. Chief Technology Officer Todd Park, and U.S. Representative George Miller (D-CA) joined the Alliance for Excellent Education on February 6 for the second annual Digital Learning Day, a national campaign that promotes digital learning and spotlights successful instructional technology practice in K–12 public school classrooms across the country.
As part of its celebration, the Alliance announced “Project 24,” a ground-breaking new initiative to help school districts plan for and effectively use technology and digital learning. Already, more than 350 school districts, representing approximately 2.5 million students across forty-two states and the District of Columbia, have signed up for Project 24.
“If you’re a school or district leader who is considering using education technology and digital learning in your schools, STOP—and go no further—until you have a comprehensive plan that addresses your district’s specific challenges and learning goals for all students,” said Bob Wise, president of the Alliance for Excellent Education and former governor of West Virginia. “Project 24 will help districts plan for the future and fully integrate digital learning into classrooms and school systems to achieve the goal of college and career readiness for all students.” Read more in the February 11 issue of the Alliance's Straight A's newsletter.)
If you missed any part of the Digital Learning Day celebration, you can find archived materials below.
- Instructional Strategies for Digital Learning Morning Session
- Interactive Lesson Plans
- Video from the Digital Town Hall
- DLD 2013 Morning Chat: Focus on Instruction, Lesson Plans, and Innovative Strategies and Tools
- DLD 2013 Special Edition: Chat with Rock Stars on Education Policy, Practice, & Media
- DLD 2013 Afternoon Chat: Project 24: A Focus on the Digital Learning Transition
- Gov. Wise's big announcement about "Project 24," for which more than 250 school districts have already signed up: http://www.all4ed.org/press_room/press_releases/02062013
Thank you to EVERYONE for making Digital Learning Day 2013 such a huge success!
Check out the statewide celebrations on the State Events page. Please contact us if you would like to connect with the person leading your state's Digital Learning Day Celebration.
Some of the thousands of local events are listed below to give you ideas on how to plan your Digital Learning Day activities.